PICTURE STORY: Swampy scales Marble Arch to hang giant banner reading ‘END FOSSIL FUELS NOW’
April 17, 2022 by Extinction Rebellion
On Saturday April 16, environmental activist Daniel Mark Hooper – aka Swampy – scaled Marble Arch along with a fellow climber to hang a giant banner that read ‘END FOSSIL FUELS NOW’. Hundreds of people from Extinction Rebellion blocked the junction at Marble Arch and seventy arrests were made. 
The banner drop marked the close of a week of Extinction Rebellion actions in central London which have seen the convergence of environmental groups around a demand for an immediate end to all new fossil fuel projects. The Just Stop Oil Coalition, Greenpeace and Friends of the Earth are among those who have been calling for an end to fossil fuels, as well as intergovernmental organisations such as the United Nations and the International Energy Agency.   
See below for links to the best images of the action.
Full size image here: https://show.pics.io/xr-global-media-breaking-news-content-600ed2733c68d80019a19bc7/preview/625b19ccdee91600147721e3
Full size image here: https://show.pics.io/xr-global-media-breaking-news-content-600ed2733c68d80019a19bc7/preview/625b19c9dee91600147721e0
Full size image here: https://show.pics.io/xr-global-media-breaking-news-content-600ed2733c68d80019a19bc7/preview/625b1655d64c9c001210a791
Full size image here: https://show.pics.io/xr-global-media-breaking-news-content-600ed2733c68d80019a19bc7/preview/625b013f3730bc001315a6bc
Additional images can be found in our photo library: https://show.pics.io/xr-global-media-breaking-news-content-600ed2733c68d80019a19bc7/search?tagId=600ed6023c68d80019a19f6e
Notes to editors
ABOUT EXTINCTION REBELLION
Time has almost entirely run out to address the ecological crisis which is upon us, including the 6th mass species extinction, global pollution, and increasingly rapid climate change. If urgent and radical action isn’t taken, we’re heading towards 4˚C warming, and the societal collapse and mass loss of life that that implies. The younger generation, racially marginalised communities and the Global South are on the front-line. No-one will escape the devastating impacts.
Extinction Rebellion believes it is a citizen’s duty to rebel, using peaceful civil disobedience, when faced with criminal inactivity by their Government.
Extinction Rebellion’s key demands are:
- Government must tell the truth by declaring a climate and ecological emergency, working with other institutions to communicate the urgency for change.
- Government must act now to halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025.
- Government must create and be led by the decisions of a Citizens’ Assembly on climate and ecological justice.
- In the UK, come to one of our events, join the Rebellion Network and let us know how you can help out.
- Start a group where you are: in the UK or around the world.
- Find your local group.
- Check out the International XR website, with links to the French, German, Italian and UK websites.
- While you’re at it, support our fundraiser!