Extinction Rebellion to UK Special Envoy for Countering Violent Extremism, John Woodcock – ‘Why not give us a call?’
February 08, 2021 by Extinction Rebellion
With the government’s response to the pandemic coming under fire, and Boris Johnson being mocked by leading global scientists and politicians over his decision to open a new coal mine during a climate emergency, it seems appropriate today to launch an enquiry into the deaths caused by this government’s policies today and in the future, rather than investigating nonviolent protestors for extremism. 
This response from Extinction Rebellion comes as the government appoints John Woodcock to investigate ‘political violence and disruption’, citing Extinction Rebellion as one of the organisations under review.
This all feels a bit deja vu! The Home Secretary has tried labelling us as violent extremists before and it didn’t fool anyone. So as a nonviolent movement that is open to anyone, we’d like to make sure John Woodcock has our number.  Will he be calling up one of the thousands of grandparents, parents and kids who are exercising their democratic right to protest? It feels slightly absurd that yet more public money is being put into useless party political projects rather than on the real crises we are facing.
If he won’t walk into our meetings as police and Daily Mail journalists have in the past, or he won’t call us up, then how exactly will he be investigating us? And how will he know if what he finds is extreme right, extreme left, extreme centre, or one of the ‘Spycops’ the government is in the process of giving immunity to? 
It’s time to stop wasting time and deflecting responsibility, and get on with the job of tackling the climate crisis with the urgency it requires.
Notes to Editors
ABOUT EXTINCTION REBELLION
Time has almost entirely run out to address the ecological crisis which is upon us, including the 6th mass species extinction, global pollution, and increasingly rapid climate change. If urgent and radical action isn’t taken, we’re heading towards 4˚C warming, and the societal collapse and mass loss of life that that implies. The younger generation, racially marginalised communities and the Global South are on the front-line. No-one will escape the devastating impacts.
Extinction Rebellion believes it is a citizen’s duty to rebel, using peaceful civil disobedience, when faced with criminal inactivity by their Government.
Extinction Rebellion’s key demands are:
- Government must tell the truth by declaring a climate and ecological emergency, working with other institutions to communicate the urgency for change.
- Government must act now to halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025.
- Government must create and be led by the decisions of a Citizens’ Assembly on climate and ecological justice.
- In the UK, come to one of our events, join the Rebellion Network and let us know how you can help out.
- Start a group where you are: in the UK or around the world.
- Find your local group.
- Check out the International XR website, with links to the French, German, Italian and UK websites.
- And while your time and energy are of most importance, if you are financially able to donate money, see our crowdfunder.