XR UK statement on the Public Order Bill
October 21, 2022 by Extinction Rebellion
The Public Order Bill is the work of a government that needs more graft. By suppressing the voices of scientists and everyday people that make up the climate movement the government has chosen to try and make the problem go away. But they’re playing a losing game.
Everyday people are way ahead of politicians and they’re prepared to face the challenges the climate crisis presents. People continue to step up and take civil disobedience despite attempts to criminalise their right to protest. According to a poll by Ipsos this August 80 percent of the UK are concerned about climate and over 50 percent of people want the 2050 net zero date brought forward.  The government are simply not prepared to do the hard work and the longer they stand in the way of facing up to the crisis the more irrelevant they become.
Extinction Rebellion calls for a Citizens’ Assembly on Climate and Ecological Justice as a necessary upgrade to our political system. It’s a proposal that looks increasingly sensible against the backdrop of Westminster chaos, spiralling energy costs and population crying out for action on the climate crisis.
 8 in 10 Britons concerned about climate change – half think net zero target should be brought forward: https://www.ipsos.com/en-uk/8-10-britons-concerned-about-climate-change-half-think-net-zero-target-should-be-brought-forward
ABOUT EXTINCTION REBELLION
Time has almost entirely run out to address the ecological crisis which is upon us, including the 6th mass species extinction, global pollution, and increasingly rapid climate change. If urgent and radical action isn’t taken, we’re heading towards 4˚C warming, and the societal collapse and mass loss of life that that implies. The younger generation, racially marginalised communities and the Global South are on the front-line. No-one will escape the devastating impacts.
Extinction Rebellion believes it is a citizen’s duty to rebel, using peaceful civil disobedience, when faced with criminal inactivity by their Government.
Extinction Rebellion’s key demands are:
- Government must tell the truth by declaring a climate and ecological emergency, working with other institutions to communicate the urgency for change.
- Government must act now to halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025.
- Government must create and be led by the decisions of a Citizens’ Assembly on climate and ecological justice.
What Emergency? | Extinction Rebellion in Numbers | This Is Not A Drill: An Extinction Rebellion Handbook
- In the UK, come to one of our events, join the Rebellion Network and let us know how you can help out.
- Start a group where you are: in the UK or around the world
- Find your local group
- Check out the International XR website, with links to the French, German, Italian and UK websites.
- While you’re at it, support the XR fundraiser!