SORT YOUR SHIP OUT! Ocean Rebellion launches with escalating actions engaging cruise liner in UK
August 19, 2020 by Extinction Rebellion
Seafaring folk and coastal dwellers in Cornwall carried out a demonstration last night against polluting cruise shipping in Falmouth Harbour.
The World is a luxury floating apartment block comprising 165 flats. It is registered in the Bahamas, enabling wealthy residents to avoid paying their taxes and to dodge environmental and employment law. 
Newly formed grassroots protest movement Ocean Rebellion launching today has taken to the seas with an escalating series of non-violent actions against The World luxury apartment cruise liner, currently moored in Falmouth Harbour.  The World emits ten times more greenhouse gases per person per mile than a jumbo jet. Engagement with The World is the first of many actions designed to illuminate the processes of ocean degradation and shift stakeholders from ocean harm to ocean repair.
Ocean Rebellion took to the waters on the night of the 18th of August and projected a series of films onto The World luxury ship with clear messages SORT YOUR SHIP OUT and THE WORLD IS DESTROYING OUR WORLD Rebels were accompanied by a polar bear who boarded the ships bulbous bow joining the call for cruise shipping to stop. The World is directly responsible for melting over 200,000 square meters of sea ice each year rendering polar bears homeless, and bringing them to the brink of extinction.
Sophie Miller of Extinction Rebellion Falmouth, said “The oceans are the lungs of the world, it creates our weather and life on the planet began there. And yet many of us have a real disconnect from it now. I feel it’s so important to create and participate in actions like these to raise awareness and to engage people in a wider conversation about the seas and our future. With the melting of the Greenland ice shelf and the fact we are currently on track to significantly overshoot 1.5 degrees of warming, this is more important than ever.
“We also need to be aware that those in the global South are currently on the front line and are already experiencing the disastrous effects of this disconnect. Communities are suffering. People are dying and this is going to get worse unless we act now. I’m just a human and a mother who wants a habitable planet for the future.”
Ocean Rebellion, the sea-faring sister of Extinction Rebellion, has at its heart a commitment to engage with global high seas stakeholders, so as to address cascading collapses in biodiversity due to over-fishing, human caused climate change, deep sea mining and other marine emergencies.
Ocean Rebellion will be joining the rebellion in London beginning on 1st September . On 6th September we will join other movements for the Marine Extinction March celebrating the glorious, beautiful biodiversity found in our seas. We will grieve the destruction of our oceans and marine life due to climate breakdown and human interference, and the loss of lives, homes and livelihoods from rising sea levels. 
Ocean Rebellion makes 3 demands:
- Tell the truth: About the destruction of the oceans
- Act now: By 2025, reverse drivers of ocean warming, acidification, sea level rise and biodiversity collapse
- Take control: United Nations to govern our common oceans heritage for the benefit of humankind, especially indigenous coastal communities. Not for the benefit of industry or finance.
If the UN fails in this high purpose then a global citizens’ assembly will convene to assume governance.
People are appalled by the devastation plastics have caused, choking the ocean and its life, but that’s just the tip of the iceberg. From overfishing to man-made climate emergency, from cruise liners to deep sea mining, humans are devastating marine habitats.
- Overfishing is a primary driver of mass extinction in the world’s oceans. Almost a third of reef-building corals and more than a third of marine mammals are facing extinction.
- The average cruise-liner pumps out three times more climate pollution per person per mile than the equivalent flight. The climate impact of shipping is mushrooming.
- Ocean warming, acidification and sea level rise caused by climate pollution is threatening almost all marine ecosystems.
- Deep sea miners are preparing to plough up one of the only pristine natural environments left on our planet, the deep sea thermal vents where life on earth originated.
Living oceans mean a living planet and a living humankind. But humans are killing the oceans. When they die, we die. Their future hangs in the balance — and with them the future of humans and all life on Earth. Ocean Rebellion will help turn the tide.
Because the sea is rising we will rise
Because the coral is fading we will fight
As the seas are mined we will mobilise
While the oceans are plundered we will protest
Protect our waters like you protect your children
Don’t let life drain away
NOTES TO EDITORS
ABOUT EXTINCTION REBELLION
Time has almost entirely run out to address the ecological crisis which is upon us, including the 6th mass species extinction, global pollution, and abrupt, runaway climate change. Societal collapse and mass death are seen as inevitable by scientists and other credible voices, with human extinction also a possibility, if rapid action is not taken.
Extinction Rebellion believes it is a citizen’s duty to rebel, using peaceful civil disobedience, when faced with criminal inactivity by their Government.
Extinction Rebellion’s key demands are:
- Government must tell the truth by declaring a climate and ecological emergency, working with other institutions to communicate the urgency for change.
- Government must act now to halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025.
- Government must create and be led by the decisions of a Citizens’ Assembly on climate and ecological justice.
- In the UK, come to one of our events, join the Rebellion Network and let us know how you can help out.
- Start a group where you are: in the UK or around the world.
- Find your local group.
- Check out the International XR website, with links to the French, German, Italian and UK websites.
- And while your time and energy are of most importance, if you are financially able to donate money, see our crowdfunder.
About Rising Up!
Extinction Rebellion emerged from the Rising Up! network, which promotes a fundamental change of our political and economic system to one which maximises well-being and minimises harm. Change needs to be nurtured in a culture of reverence, gratitude and inclusion while the tools of civil disobedience and direct action are used to express our collective power.