The kids aren’t alright – Extinction Rebellion UK’s statement on threats of violence towards XR Cambridge
February 21, 2020 by Extinction Rebellion
Today XR Youth activists in Cambridge received further distressing threats of violence against them. They are understandably scared and shaken but have independently decided to continue their protest until Sunday as planned.
Many will ask how they can continue to disrupt lives when their safety is on the line. The answer is that they have read the science and their fear of tomorrow is greater than their fear of today. And who can blame them? Even their academic institutions are taking money from the very fossil fuel companies that are destroying their future.
The threats come as huge areas of the country are currently suffering from extreme flooding and as today’s leaked report by JP Morgan – one of the world’s biggest banks – states: “No government seems willing to sacrifice the incomes of their current citizens either in favor of their children and grandchildren or in favor of citizens in other countries.” The truth is, we’re digging ourselves a hole we soon won’t be able to climb out of.
What happens next isn’t really a question for them. It’s a question for all of us. Do we accept violent threats against peaceful protestors causing disruption to raise the alarm about the climate and ecological emergency? Do we stand by while life around the world is destroyed, and our children’s future disappears into thin air?
2020 is the year we have to choose what legacy we leave the kids.
Notes to Editors
 “Big Oil and deep sea drilling: The corporations underpinning Cambridge colleges’ investments” Varsity: https://www.varsity.co.uk/news/16518
About Extinction Rebellion
Time has almost entirely run out to address the ecological crisis which is upon us, including the 6th mass species extinction, global pollution, and abrupt, runaway climate change. Societal collapse and mass death are seen as inevitable by scientists and other credible voices, with human extinction also a possibility, if rapid action is not taken.
Extinction Rebellion believes it is a citizen’s duty to rebel, using peaceful civil disobedience, when faced with criminal inactivity by their Government.
Extinction Rebellion’s key demands are:
- Government must tell the truth by declaring a climate and ecological emergency, working with other institutions to communicate the urgency for change.
- Government must act now to halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025.
- Government must create and be led by the decisions of a Citizens’ Assembly on climate and ecological justice.
- In the UK, come to one of our events, join the Rebellion Network and let us know how you can help out.
- Start a group where you are: in the UK or around the world.
- Find your local group.
- Check out the International XR website, with links to the French, German, Italian and UK websites.
- And while your time and energy are of most importance, if you are financially able to donate money, see our crowdfunder.
About Rising Up!
Extinction Rebellion emerged from the Rising Up! network, which promotes a fundamental change of our political and economic system to one which maximises well-being and minimises harm. Change needs to be nurtured in a culture of reverence, gratitude and inclusion while the tools of civil disobedience and direct action are used to express our collective power.