Thank you to The Jade Assembly – It is Time for Change this Christmas!
November 14, 2019 by Extinction Rebellion
Phone: +44(0)7969 083 371 / +44 7979 971209
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Media Assets | Legal Crowd Funder | What emergency? | Extinction Rebellion in Numbers |This Is Not A Drill: An Extinction Rebellion Handbook
#EverybodyNow #ExtinctionRebellion #WhereIsYourPlan
Extinction Rebellion UK would like to thank The Jade Assembly for their support and wish them well in the charts this Christmas! It is great that their single ‘Time for Change’ brings attention to the climate and ecological emergency.
What humanity does in the run up to this Christmas and during 2020, will affect the future of life on Earth. In the UK, the upcoming elections matter greatly.
We would like to clarify – that contrary to some media reports – there isn’t an ‘official’ campaign to get an XR ‘anthem’ to number one, as Extinction Rebellion doesn’t ‘team up’ or partner in this way. We are a movement of and for all music tastes, from grime to ambient, folk, jungle, classical, bassline, noisecore, pop or punk and beyond, and we welcome everyone and every part of everyone.
We would of course be delighted if this issue could be at the heart of seasonal playlists this winter – whether celebrating Christmas or not – and will clearly be rooting for them to reach Number 1.
Music has the power to influence and change society – so we’d also like to take this moment to call on artists of all genres to make music for this emergency. Your energy and creativity can help transform how people come together. We also encourage all with a platform; DJs, radio presenters, mixtape makers, playlist curators, to help tell the truth during these troubling times.
We would also like to thank those who have already helped Extinction Rebellion around the world, from the unknown singers to the big names. Thank you!
Extinction Rebellion UK has lots planned this festive period. Please keep an eye out for more to come in the coming week!
Notes for Editors
About Extinction Rebellion:
Time has almost entirely run out to address the ecological crisis which is upon us, including the 6th mass species extinction, global pollution, and abrupt, runaway climate change. Societal collapse and mass death are seen as inevitable by scientists and other credible voices, with human extinction also a possibility, if rapid action is not taken.
Extinction Rebellion believes it is a citizen’s duty to rebel, using peaceful civil disobedience, when faced with criminal inactivity by their Government.
Extinction Rebellion’s key demands are:
- Government must tell the truth by declaring a climate and ecological emergency, working with other institutions to communicate the urgency for change.
- Government must act now to halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025.
- Government must create and be led by the decisions of a Citizens’ Assembly on climate and ecological justice.
- In the UK, come to one of our events, join the Rebellion Network and let us know how you can help out.
- Start a group where you are: in the UK or around the world.
- Find your local group.
- Check out the International XR website, with links to the French, German, Italian and UK websites.
- And while your time and energy are of most importance, if you are financially able to donate money, see our legal crowdfunder.
About Rising Up!
Extinction Rebellion is an initiative of the Rising Up! network, which promotes a fundamental change of our political and economic system to one which maximises well-being and minimises harm. Change needs to be nurtured in a culture of reverence, gratitude and inclusion while the tools of civil disobedience and direct action are used to express our collective power.