Extinction Rebellion: The Emergency isn’t going away. Neither are we
October 05, 2019 by Extinction Rebellion
Phone: +44(0)7561098449 / +44(0)7804743058 / +44(0)7739186640
- Escalation of pre-emptive tactics by the Government and police is a sign that we are being heard and acknowledged as a significant movement.
- We urge the Government focus their attention and resources on responding to the Climate and Ecological Emergency which threatens us all.
- We call for rebels to remain adaptable, agile, creative and joyful whatever we are presented with.
- We ask for members of the public to help replace equipment taken by police including portable loos, kitchen equipment, gazebos and big tents, hot water urns and big thermos flasks, 250 watt solar panels and 12 volt car batteries, ready to eat plant-based food, waterproofs, massive umbrellas, hot water bottles.
Today the Government ordered police to seize tents, toilets and disabled access equipment – the very things that would make the International Rebellion in London safe, clean and accessible to all.
Our lawyers advise that any attempt to remove essential well being-facilities, including first aid kits and essential sanitation, would be an abuse of police powers and an unlawful attempt to frustrate the exercise of the fundamental rights of freedom of assembly and freedom of expression.
9 people have so far been arrested on conspiracy to cause a public nuisance and conspiracy to obstruct the highway. The goods and 6 vehicles were secured by force from a warehouse in South London.
This escalation of pre-emptive tactics by the Government and police is a sign that we are being heard and acknowledged as a significant movement. We ask that the Government focus their attention and resources on responding to the Climate and Ecological Emergency which threatens us all.
The Government can take our structures, but we remain resolute in our preparation for the Rebellion. We call for rebels to remain adaptable, creative and joyful whatever we are presented with.
If anyone would like to help us replace the equipment that was taken, please bring what you can so that our Rebellion can remain safe and open to everyone. For any items that require support to get to London please email email@example.com. We need:
- Kitchen equipment – hot water urns and big thermos flasks
- Wheelie bins
- Gazebos and big tents
- 250 watt solar panels and 12 volt car batteries
- Sound equipment and staging
- Ready to eat plant-based food
- Water proofs, massive umbrellas and hot water bottles
The Emergency isn’t going away, and neither are we. We remain deeply committed to our aims.
No matter what the Government does we still have:
- Our unity and numbers – Tens of thousands of people preparing to rise up in London in Rebellion together
- Our creativity – We are well-prepared and resourced to respond to any police and government action
- Our regenerative culture – We are committed to a future where our cultures are resilient and built on love and respect for one another, all other forms of life, and the planet that sustains us. A future where we survive.
- Our nonviolent discipline – This is a grounded state we can carry within us, that can’t be touched by external circumstances. History shows us that this is possible.
This is all we need to be engaged in successful, peaceful mass civil disobedience.
900 rebels to arrive in Hyde Park tomorrow
Tomorrow on the eve of the Rebellion, up to 900 people are expected to arrive in London’s Hyde Park by coach in preparation to risk their freedom for our future. They are fathers, mothers, sisters and grandparents motivated by fear, love and duty – they will remain day after day until the government responds to Extinction Rebellion’s demands for truth, action and democracy fit for purpose. For more information on those that have been arrested see the new arrestees page on the website.
London Rebellion opening ceremony – 5pm Sunday, Marble Arch
At least a thousand people are expected to gather in Marble Arch to mark the beginning of the International Rebellion. Come dressed for ceremony, whatever this means for you. Bring a lantern and a small symbol of harvest.
And don’t forget, the International Rebellion continues 10am Monday 7 October – see you in Westminster.
About Extinction Rebellion:
Time has almost entirely run out to address the ecological crisis which is upon us, including the 6th mass species extinction, global pollution, and abrupt, runaway climate change. Societal collapse and mass death are seen as inevitable by scientists and other credible voices, with human extinction also a possibility, if rapid action is not taken.
Extinction Rebellion believes it is a citizen’s duty to rebel, using peaceful civil disobedience, when faced with criminal inactivity by their Government.
Extinction Rebellion’s key demands are:
- Government must tell the truth by declaring a climate and ecological emergency, working with other institutions to communicate the urgency for change.
- Government must act now to halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025.
- Government must create and be led by the decisions of a Citizens’ Assembly on climate and ecological justice.
About Rising Up!
Extinction Rebellion is an initiative of the Rising Up! network, which promotes a fundamental change of our political and economic system to one which maximises well-being and minimises harm. Change needs to be nurtured in a culture of reverence, gratitude and inclusion while the tools of civil disobedience and direct action are used to express our collective power.