Extinction Rebellion to sound climate alarm at Labour Party Conference with lightship and alternative shipping forecast
September 22, 2019 by Extinction Rebellion
Email: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: +44(0)7951 788 855 +44(0)7811 183633
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Media Assets
- Extinction Rebellion calls on Labour leadership to make climate and ecological emergency the number one issue at this year’s conference
- Lightship sounds an alternative shipping forecast warning of the future and denouncing government’s 2050 net-zero emissions target
- Event marks the start of a pop-up space outside the conference featuring talks about the climate and ecological crisis and the International Rebellion from 7th October
At 10am this morning (Sunday 22 September) Extinction Rebellion will unveil a red and white lightship the size of a double decker bus in Brighton, the location of the Labour Party Conference.
Called Greta, the lightship will be unveiled by the Peace Statue on Hove Lawns, on the seafront boundary between Brighton and Hove (1). It will then be wheeled along the seafront as the centrepiece of a march to the Brighton Centre, where the conference is taking place. There it will pause to sound the alarm about the climate and ecological emergency to all politicians and delegates within the conference. A flotilla of Extinction Rebellion ships will also be in situ, in the shallows of the English Channel.
The lightship will then play an alternative shipping forecast (2), warning of severe gales, wintry showers, summer heatwaves, early frosts, high winds and snow showers. Stating the situation will become “desperate soon” the forecaster will go on to provide a general meteorological synopsis: “Attention all areas, global heating predicted. Happening now. Increasing exponentially later. Business-as-usual moving slowly. Situation critical. Deepening. Crisis imminent. There are warnings of gales in all areas, except Westminster, where disruption is expected soon.”
After denouncing the government’s current 2050 target for decarbonisation, the forecaster will culminate with: “Panic increasing. Citizens assembling. Rebels rising now. More expected soon.”
The march will then move on to the Old Steine, where Extinction Rebellion will create a pop-up space so that politicians, other activists and passersby can find out more about the severity of the climate crisis we face. Over the next few days, until the conference ends on 25th September, there will be talks about Extinction Rebellion’s next International Rebellion, starting on 7th October, and how to get involved – as well as a people’s climate assembly, creative art activities and films.
Alison Plaumer, Extinction Rebellion activist, said:
“With this action we are reaching out to the Labour Party to make the climate crisis the number one concern at this conference. We want those at the helm to listen to the huge number of voices within its own ranks who’re as terrified as we are about the ongoing collapse of the ecosystems on which all life on Earth depends.
“Make no mistake, at the moment we’re headed towards extinction. The government has set us on course for decarbonisation for 2050, which is far too late. It’s suicidal. Scientists are telling us we must become carbon neutral long before then. David Attenborough has warned the UN that the collapse of civilization is on the horizon. This means our government is failing in its most basic duty: to keep citizens safe and secure. It’s why we feel morally compelled to rebel against it – and urge its main opposition, the Labour Party, to be as bold as it can on this issue, the defining issue of our times.
“We are at a crucial moment in human history. We face an unprecedented challenge and our only hope is to work together to overcome it. We are asking everyone, including all members of the Labour Party, to take to the streets in our next International Rebellion in London, starting on 7th October. We urge members of other political parties too – as well as local councils, faith groups, trade unions and every kind of community group you can think of – to do the same. This is about all of us.”
James Moulding, Extinction Rebellion and Labour activist, said:
“Tens of thousands across the UK are now organising, in active rebellion, against the British government and its ecocidal policies. We’re here today to call on Labour Party activists to join the Rebellion, to join our movement. This is how we change everything, and we need everyone.”
Notes to editor
- The Peace Statue is located between Brunswick Lawns and the esplanade opposite Brunswick Terrace.
- Audio for the alternative shipping forecast: https://we.tl/t-GdLGbhMm1Q
- This action has been organised by both Extinction Rebellion Brighton and Extinction Rebellion UK.
- Extinction Rebellion’s next International Rebellion starts on 7th October. London will be the focus of actions in the UK. Find more info here.
About Extinction Rebellion:
Time has almost entirely run out to address the ecological crisis which is upon us, including the 6th mass species extinction, global pollution, and abrupt, runaway climate change. Societal collapse and mass death are seen as inevitable by scientists and other credible voices, with human extinction also a possibility, if rapid action is not taken.
Extinction Rebellion believes it is a citizen’s duty to rebel, using peaceful civil disobedience, when faced with criminal inactivity by their Government.
Extinction Rebellion’s key demands are:
- Government must tell the truth by declaring a climate and ecological emergency, working with other institutions to communicate the urgency for change.
- Government must act now to halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025.
- Government must create and be led by the decisions of a Citizens’ Assembly on climate and ecological justice.
What Emergency? | Extinction Rebellion in Numbers |This Is Not A Drill: An Extinction Rebellion Handbook.
- In the UK, come to one of our events, join the Rebellion Network and let us know how you can help out.
- Start a group where you are: in the UK or around the world.
- Find your local group.
- Check out the International XR website, with links to the French, German, Italian and UK websites.
- And while your time and energy are of most importance, if you are financially able to donate money, see our crowdfunder.
About Rising Up!
Extinction Rebellion is an initiative of the Rising Up! network, which promotes a fundamental change of our political and economic system to one which maximises well-being and minimises harm. Change needs to be nurtured in a culture of reverence, gratitude and inclusion while the tools of civil disobedience and direct action are used to express our collective power.