Our Lungs Are On Fire: 7 Days Match-Funding Promise
August 24, 2019 by Extinction Rebellion
Photograph: Talia Woodin @taltakingpics
Phone: +44(0)7986671716 / +44(0)7561098449
#ExtinctionRebellion #RebelForLife #ClimateEmergencyFund
- The Climate Emergency Fund (CEF) has pledged $350k to Extinction Rebellion, if others will match it
- This epic match-funding promise follows a solidarity protest organised by Extinction Rebellion and others which took place outside the Brazilian Embassy in London on Friday
- Worldwide Rebellion begins on Monday 7 October: Extinction Rebellion groups around the world will gather in key cities to call for action on the climate & ecological crisis we are facing
After yet another day of the Amazon being ablaze and following a solidarity action by Extinction Rebellion and others outside the Brazilian Embassy in London on Friday, a promise of match-funding has been made to encourage donations for the October Rebellion.
The Climate Emergency Fund (CEF) formed this year in response to the escalating devastation occurring across our natural world and the need for urgent action and deep societal transformation. They provide grants to those “who demonstrate the intention and capability of disrupting the inadequate and immoral gradual approach governments around the world are taking to addressing the climate emergency.”
On Tuesday this week, chair of the CEF, Trevor Neilson, pledged $350k to Extinction Rebellion if other donors will come forward and match this number before the end of August.
Ordinary citizens are hungry for climate and ecological action and support our Worldwide Rebellion starting October 7. To join the surge and donate, visit: https://chuffed.org/project/extinctionrebellion
To make larger donations please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sarah Greenfield Clark of Extinction Rebellion says: “The volume of support that’s come through the crowdfunder shows that there is deep public hunger for ecological justice and a longing for new ways of living. To have that matched by major donors across the world sends a strong message that we are all in this together”
Bill McKibben of 350.org says: “Extinction Rebellion is a key part of the fight for a livable climate; they’re helping catalyze support across the planet, with peaceful, clever, earnest action of just the kind we need.”
Charles Perry of Sustainable Futures For All says: “A social movement, like the civil rights or anti-apartheid movement, is what we have been crying out for on Sustainability and Extinction Rebellion have answered that call – leading many thousands, with superhuman effort internationally. They are right! Enough is enough, this is an Emergency – let’s save ourselves and our natural world. Please support these amazing Volunteers and together we can stop the rampant burning of carbon/rainforests/ecosystems/fossils – which is Ecocide! Before it also becomes Genocide! Our future depends on action NOW.”
Selection of comments from the crowdfunder:
Sharon Morgan “It’s impossible to ignore what’s staring us all in the face. Either you choose to make changes for the better or you bury your head in the sand. I am full of admiration for those who take such a public stand in spite of the backlash…..”
Catherine Holland “It’s high time we all rebelled against the forces that are totally destroying our planet”
Tracey Keatman “If you can’t be there in person, let your money talk…”
Notes to editors
About Extinction Rebellion:
Time has almost entirely run out to address the ecological crisis which is upon us, including the 6th mass species extinction, global pollution, and abrupt, runaway climate change. Societal collapse and mass death are seen as inevitable by scientists and other credible voices, with human extinction also a possibility, if rapid action is not taken.
Extinction Rebellion believes it is a citizen’s duty to rebel, using peaceful civil disobedience, when faced with criminal inactivity by their Government.
Extinction Rebellion’s key demands are:
- Government must tell the truth by declaring a climate and ecological emergency, working with other institutions to communicate the urgency for change.
- Government must act now to halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025.
- Government must create and be led by the decisions of a Citizens’ Assembly on climate and ecological justice.
- In the UK, come to one of our events, join the Rebellion Network and let us know how you can help out.
- Start a group where you are: in the UK or around the world.
- Find your local group.
- Check out the International XR website, with links to the French, German, Italian and UK websites.
- And while your time and energy are of most importance, if you are financially able to donate money, see our crowdfunder.
About Rising Up!
Extinction Rebellion is an initiative of the Rising Up! network, which promotes a fundamental change of our political and economic system to one which maximises well-being and minimises harm. Change needs to be nurtured in a culture of reverence, gratitude and inclusion while the tools of civil disobedience and direct action are used to express our collective power.