From 11:30am today: Extinction Rebellion Tower Hamlets hold road block street party
March 30, 2019 by Nuala
Phone: +44(0)7804743058 / +44 (0)7760280443 / +44(0)7986671716
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ExtinctionR; #ExtinctionRebellion
Climate Factsheet for Rebels: https://rebellion.earth/the-climate-factsheet-for-rebels
- On the 20 March, Tower Hamlets Council Declared a Climate Emergency and committed to become a zero-carbon London borough by 2025 .
- From 11:30am to 2:30pm, activists from Extinction Rebellion will be blocking a road next to Bethnal Green tube station and will invite the local community to join a joyful street event with music, local speakers and creative activities for all, including families. The event will focus on the climate crisis, air pollution and how our local communities can stand together for change.
- Activists and members of the Tower Hamlets community will be able to enjoy a variety of activities including meditation, talks and sustainable arts and crafts for children.
Interested to know what would it be like to live in Tower Hamlets with clean air? With humans and nature taking priority over cars and fossil fuels? How can we build a safe future for our children and the planet?
This Saturday, on the 30 March, Extinction Rebellion Tower Hamlets are hosting a peaceful protest and joyful street event outside of Bethnal Green tube station. Extinction Rebellion activists will be blocking a highly polluted road outside the station and will be holding a variety of music, speakers and creative activities for families.
The street party will be a chance to invite the local community to come together, mourn the hundred of species going extinct everyday and share the truth of the environmental crisis which we are all facing.
This is a non-violent, family-friendly event. All are welcome. You can join the Facebook event here.
At the event, activists and members of the local community will enjoy:
- Live music;
- Free Food;
- Talks on climate change and our power to act from community leaders;
- Meditation session by the London Buddhist Centre;
- Gardening Workshop for all ages;
- Repurposing old clothes with ink printing;
- Mapping areas of concern in Tower Hamlets;
- Art Spaces;
- Poster making stations for the International Rebellion;
- Sustainable arts and crafts for children;
The roadblock will have a special focus on air pollution; caused by burning fossil fuels. Tower Hamlets has incredibly high levels of air pollution; children who grow up in this borough have 5-10% smaller lungs than children who grow up elsewhere . 7.4% of all deaths in Tower Hamlets in people over the age of 30 are caused by air pollution .
Darren Chin from Extinction Rebellion said: “as so often with the Climate and Ecological Crisis, the most vulnerable suffer first, in Tower Hamlets and across the world.”
Recognising the urgency of climate change, the Tower Hamlets Borough Council declared a climate emergency on the 20 March and committed to make Tower Hamlets a zero-carbon London borough by 2025.
Arthur Perez, a local resident in Whitechapel, said “it’s a fantastic first step but we know much more needs to be done. We need to act together, now and quickly.”
Also coming up
- 1 April – Paint the Streets Worldwide: Disobey to Tell the Truth – Global. Calling rebels willing to join a week of mass flyposting, using non-violent civil disobedience to tell the truth on climate breakdown and ecological collapse. We will use stickers, posters, banners and more, covering the streets with our messages, to shake awake our fellow human beings who are sleepwalking into disaster.
- 15 April – International Rebellion – Global. Extinction Rebellion activists in the UK and around the world are calling for a full-scale international rebellion: to demand decisive action on the climate and ecological collapse from governments around the world. Come to stay and book time off work.
- Lots more protests and events! There are many other actions and events happening now in London and around the UK due to Extinction Rebellion’s decentralised structure (too many to list here). For the latest news, see the website: https://rebellion.earth/events/ plus also check out the facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ExtinctionRebellion/events/.
Notes to editors
 Climate Emergency in Tower Hamlets over its ‘toxic’ air pollution levels https://www.eastlondonadvertiser.co.uk/news/politics/tower-hamlets-council-to-become-carbon-neutral-by-2025-1-5952587
 Study of 2,000 children suggests London air pollution is restricting lung development https://www.qmul.ac.uk/media/news/2018/smd/study-of-2000-children-suggests-london-air-pollution-is-restricting-lung-development.html
 Tower Hamlets drive for clean air https://romanroadlondon.com/tower-hamlets-war-air-pollution/
About Extinction Rebellion:
Time has almost entirely run out to address the ecological crisis which is upon us, including the 6th mass species extinction and abrupt, runaway climate change. Societal collapse and mass death are seen as inevitable by scientists and other credible voices, with human extinction also a possibility, if rapid action is not taken.
Extinction Rebellion believes it is a citizen’s duty to rebel, using peaceful civil disobedience, when faced with criminal inactivity by its Government.
Extinction Rebellion’s key demands are:
- The Government must tell the truth about the ecological emergency, reverse inconsistent policies and work alongside the media to communicate with citizens
- The Government must enact legally binding policy measures to reduce carbon emissions to net zero by 2025 and to reduce consumption levels
- A national Citizens’ Assembly to oversee the changes, as part of creating a democracy fit for purpose.
Get involved in Extinction Rebellion’s other events:
- In the UK, come to one of our events, join the Rebellion Network and let us know how you can help out
- Start a group where you are – locally in the UK or in your country around the world
- Find your local group: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=11jUqqjTHMThksd4KbvGGzb3I3Cr3PkBl&usp=sharing
- Check out the International XR website, with links to the French, German, Italian and UK websites
- We are holding Collaborative Leadership Calls to help coach people to improve their leadership skills and capacities
- And while your time and energy are the most important things, if you are financially able to donate money, see our Fundrazr crowdfunder.
UK website: https://rebellion.earth/
International website: https://xrebellion.org/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ExtinctionR hashtag #ExtinctionRebellion
Declaration of Rebellion: https://rebellion.earth/declaration/
About Rising Up!
Extinction Rebellion is an initiative of the Rising Up! network, which promotes a fundamental change of our political and economic system to one which maximises well-being and minimises harm. Change needs to be nurtured in a culture of reverence, gratitude and inclusion; whilst the tools of civil disobedience and direct action are used to express our collective power.