Filmmaker brothers Jack & Finn Harries Launch Countdown to UK Rebellion Day
November 08, 2018 by Extinction Rebellion
For media enquiries, email: email@example.com
Phone: +44(0)7878535968 / +44(0)7732576590 / +44(0)7403772717 / +44(0)7549766448
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ExtinctionR; #extinctionrebellion
This morning Theresa May got a visit from Jack and Finn Harries – of JacksGap fame which has more than 4 million subscribers on YouTube – to 10 Downing Street to deliver a ‘Declaration of Rebellion’ on behalf of environmental group Extinction Rebellion. 
With just 9 days until Rebellion Day, Extinction Rebellion is about to attempt a nonviolent uprising against the British government for its criminal inaction on the climate emergency and ecological crisis.  
“It’s time,” said Jack Harries. “We’ve been campaigning on climate change since we were children. We’ve always believed that a threat so urgent as climate change requires radical activism: for people to be brave and willing to risk anything to draw public attention to the threat of climate change and to put pressure on politicians to act to save our future. We support Extinction Rebellion and we can’t wait to be part of Rebellion Day on the 17th November. Join us!”
Protests begin Monday 12th November leading to a national Rebellion Day on Saturday 17th November. Thousands are expected to take part in a series of non violent direct actions highlighting the villains in our climate and ecological emergency, with protests including road blocks, bridge blockading, a mass LGBTQI party outside the Brazilian Embassy together with countless small actions across London and nationwide.
After reading out the Declaration of Rebellion to the crowd of concerned citizens, Jack and Finn sealed the envelope and handed it in to Downing Street. 
“It’s wonderful to see Jack and Finn stepping forward like this,” said Teddy Woolnough, an 18 year old supporter of Extinction Rebellion from Leicester. “I hope more young people choose to face what has become of their futures, as a result of this government’s failure to act. Let us not fail ourselves like we have been failed, because when the youth rebel, we will win this.”
Towards Rebellion Day
Rebellion Day (17th November) will be the climax of a week of civil disobedience, with the potential for more. More will be revealed in due course, but for now here are some key dates:
- Monday 12th November: Bold and illegal actions to launch the Extinction Rebellion
- Thursday 15th November: An LGBTQI party to disrupt the Brazilian Embassy in the wake of Bolsonaro’s election. Women, people of colour, LGBTQIA+ people, Defenders of the environment, and of free speech and allies to any of these minorities are welcome 
- Saturday 17th November: Rebellion Day – major acts of civil disobedience across London, on Parliament Square and on some bridges. Everyone is invited, particularly citizens concerned about the ecological crisis and those that feel the time has come to take a stand, and be conscientious protectors of the earth.
Many other events are taking place online and around the country in preparation for the rebellion including: non-violent direct action trainings in Leeds, London and Wales, talks across the UK about the climate emergency and what citizens can do to be part of Extinction Rebellion movement, together with talks by international partners about coordinated Rebellion Days around the world. 
- JacksGap is an online blog and video project that was born from a love of travelling and telling a good story. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JacksGap
- About Extinction Rebellion
Time has almost entirely run out to address the ecological crisis which is upon us, including the 6th mass species extinction and abrupt, runaway climate change. Societal collapse and mass death are seen as inevitable by scientists and other credible voices, with human extinction also a possibility, if rapid action is not taken.
Extinction Rebellion believes it is a citizen’s duty to rebel using peaceful civil disobedience when faced with criminal inactivity by its Government. Extinction Rebellion’s topline demands are:
- The Government must admit the truth about the ecological emergency, reverse all policies inconsistent with addressing climate change, and work alongside the media to communicate with citizens
- The Government must enact legally binding policy measures to reduce carbon emissions to net zero by 2025 and to reduce consumption levels
- A national Citizen’s Assembly to oversee the changes, as part of creating a democracy fit for purpose.
Website: https://risingup.org.uk/XR/; facebook https://www.facebook.com/ExtinctionRebellion/; Rebellion Day facebook event https://www.facebook.com/events/1758991460816073/; twitter https://twitter.com/ExtinctionR; hashtag #extinctionrebellion
- https://www.theguardian.com/environment/live/2018/oct/08/ipcc-climate-change-report-urgent-action-fossil-fuels-live; https://www.stockholmresilience.org/research/research-news/2017-07-02-three-years-to-safeguard-our-climate.html
- Declaration of Rebellion: https://rebellion.earth/declaration/
- ‘Queer Party to SAVE the Amazon’. Details of this public protest are here. If you would like to attend please be in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org
- All details of Extinction Rebellion public events can be viewed here: https://rebellion.earth/events/ If you would like to cover a public event then please contact email@example.com
- About RisingUp!
The RisingUp network promotes a fundamental change of our political and economic system to one which maximises well-being and minimises harm. Change needs to be nurtured in a culture of reverence, gratitude and inclusion; whilst the tools of civil disobedience and direct action are used to express our collective power.