Extinction Rebellion welcomes Pride in London’s Declaration of a Climate Emergency, #NoPrideInEcocide
July 06, 2019 by Extinction Rebellion
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Phone: +44(0)7479234522
Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Media Assets
What emergency? | Extinction Rebellion in Numbers
Pride in our planet – No pride in ecocide
On this morning of Pride in London, XR LGBTIQ welcomes that Pride in London has declared a Climate Emergency. 
In declaring an Emergency they have fully met the first of the three demands we announced less than a week ago and presented to them in person only 48 hours ago.
To find our more and get involved in Extinction Rebellion LGBTQI+ see here. XR Youth will also have a presence at today’s Pride in London – see here for details.
In declaring their intention to make Pride in London carbon neutral by 2020 they have also fully met our second demand.
In recognising the problematic nature of the ecocidal profiteering of some of the groups in the parade they have acknowledged the basis of a third demand and we welcome their intention to address this between now and next year’s event in London.
We are in awe of the actions of rebels in London, across the UK, and internationally whose commitment to the rebellion has brought about this extraordinary statement.
We are aware that we are a self-selecting group and that we cannot speak for anybody except ourselves.
Some people will be disappointed that companies like BP and Exxon Mobile will be represented and heavily branded in the parade this year.
Individuals and groups both within XR LGBTIQ and outside within the wider movement will make their own decisions on how to respond to that fact.
We ask all rebels whether queer or not to treat everybody today with the respect that lies at the heart of the Extinction Rebellion message.
In love and rage,
About Extinction Rebellion:
Time has almost entirely run out to address the ecological crisis which is upon us, including the 6th mass species extinction, global pollution, and abrupt, runaway climate change. Societal collapse and mass death are seen as inevitable by scientists and other credible voices, with human extinction also a possibility, if rapid action is not taken.
Extinction Rebellion believes it is a citizen’s duty to rebel, using peaceful civil disobedience, when faced with criminal inactivity by their Government.
Extinction Rebellion’s key demands are:
- Government must tell the truth by declaring a climate and ecological emergency, working with other institutions to communicate the urgency for change.
- Government must act now to halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025.
- Government must create and be led by the decisions of a Citizens’ Assembly on climate and ecological justice.
- In the UK, come to one of our events, join the Rebellion Network and let us know how you can help out
- Start a group where you are – locally in the UK or in your country around the world
- Find your local group
- Check out the International XR website, with links to the French, German, Italian and UK websites
- We are holding Collaborative Leadership Calls to help coach people to improve their leadership skills and capacities
- And while your time and energy are of most importance, if you are financially able to donate money, see our Fundrazr crowdfunder.
About Rising Up!
Extinction Rebellion is an initiative of the Rising Up! network, which promotes a fundamental change of our political and economic system to one which maximises well-being and minimises harm. Change needs to be nurtured in a culture of reverence, gratitude and inclusion; whilst the tools of civil disobedience and direct action are used to express our collective power.