Save the Dates
26th February to 3rd March 2024
City of London and across the UK
Extinction Rebellion will be at the forefront of a week-long campaign, focused on the City of London plus actions across the UK. At the same time as Coal Action Network, Mothers Rise Up, Quakers UK, StopEACOP and Tipping Point, we will be targeting the global insurance industry – the people who could stop the fossil fuel crooks in their tracks overnight if they wanted to.
Because no insurance = no more drilling for oil and gas
This programme is provisional. Check back here closer to the action, and go to the Welcome Hub at the action for the latest information.
Monday, 26th Feb: Hub & Training Day. 10:15 – 17:30, at 144 Cambridge Heath Road, Bethnal Green, E1 5QJ
- 10:30–12:00: Lessons from the West Cumbria coal mine campaign. Talk and training led by Maggie Mason of the grassroots campaign against the mine, including how to take the fight to insurers
- 12:45–13:45: Why it is imperative to target the insurance industry. Facts, figures and stories of success to support street outreach during the week, led by Will Attenborough, Climate Finance Strategist at Coal Action Network
- 14:00–16:30: Nonviolent Direct Action Training (NVDA) workshop. Learn about civil disobedience, theories of nonviolence, practical skills and how to use your support systems. NVDA training is important for your safety and that of everyone in the vicinity. No prior knowledge needed.
- 16:30–17:30: Disobedience practice. Learn a simple dance routine, ready to take part in Wednesday’s flashmob. No experience required!
Tuesday 27th Feb:
- 10:30: Insure Our Future Rally, meet at Aldgate Square, outside Aldgate tube station. Join us on the second day of actions in the City of London, where all the dirty insurance deals are being brokered. Expect education, entertainment, love and rage!
- 14:00: Community Assembly – Leadenhall Building “How do we Insure our Future?”
Wednesday 28th Feb:
- 10:30: Insurance Mayhem – Wednesday Showstopper. meet at Trinity Square Gardens, London. Nearest tube Tower Hill. Wear business attire. Black suits with white shirts, preferably!
Thursday 29th Feb:
- 11:30: Climate Justice = Palestine Solidarity, Join this low-risk demo to demand insurers take action to respect human rights. Meet at Lloyds of London
Friday 1st March:
- Actions across the UK, including Glasgow, Newcastle, Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham, Leicester, Gloucester, Bristol, Brighton, Hastings, Oxford & more. Check out the map or Events Calendar for more details
If you only have limited time, Tuesday and Wednesday – February 27th & 28th – will be the height of the action.
Whether you can come for a day or the whole week, book time off and head for the financial heart of darkness, equipped with love, rage and creativity in your rebel heart.
Ensure you join the Insurance Week of Action Telegram chat to keep up to date with action briefings and trainings, latest information and connect with others attending the protests.
Bring a friend or family member with you, or connect with your local group – they may be attending the action together or organising transport.
What will it be like?
There will be roving rallies, moving between different City of London targets – with all of XR’s usual playfulness and theatrics. There will be creative ways for everyone to participate.
There will be street performers and speeches, the famous XR art blocking, Paint the Streets, and People’s Assemblies – where anybody who wants to can have their voice heard on how we tackle the climate and ecological crisis.
On Wednesday we’re expecting a short march through the City to our target, where rebels will be invited to take part in a symbolic and creative action.
We will be staying agile, ready to take our demands, our energy, music and determination elsewhere in the Square Mile, to support all the rebels engaging in non-violent direct action.
Because in addition to all of this, we will be doing the critical work of disrupting, challenging and calling out the City of London firms most responsible for providing BP, Shell, and their oily pals with the insurance they need to keep drilling and burning.
There will be daily actions and events for everyone, all demanding that the big insurers stop insuring the destruction of our futures.
- 1. I’m interested in taking direct action
What’s the plan?
There will be lots of opportunities for taking Non-Violent Direct Action (NVDA). Many of them perfect for first timers. If you’re new to this, there will be experienced people there to welcome and support you.
What should I do now?
Whether it’s your first time or you’re a seasoned activist, get yourself along to our action briefing where you will get our NVDA training and find out everything you need to know about the action. You’re not committing to anything – just come along and say hi.
Sunday 25th February
10:00 – 12.30 NVDA
12.30 – 13:00 action briefing
Come to either part or both – register here
If you can’t make one of the briefings, don’t worry. There will be training available on site each day, so just turn up and find the Outreach Stall or ask a Steward. You can also find some general resources on your rights when protesting here.
What should I do on the day?
You’ll get all the details about the day from the Action Briefing – sign up with the link above. Or attend one of the on-site trainings at the action.
- 2. I’m not ready for direct action just yet… What else is there?
What’s the plan?
Come along and get involved in some or all of the following (keep up to date with action briefings, latest information and connect with others attending the protests by joining the Telegram chat):
- Street performers
- Art blocking
- Paint the Streets
- People’s Assemblies
- Symbolic and creative actions
What should I do now?
Put the date in your diary, book time off work, and think about transport and accommodation. And tell your friends!
If you need help finding accommodation you can find support here (note this is not organised by Extinction Rebellion)
Transport subsidies will be available for some rebels to cover the cost of UK travel to actions in London and the regions & nations. To make your claim
if you have access needs or questions, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
What should I do on the day?
Pack some snacks and a drink, comfortable warm clothes (dress in business attire to blend in if possible), and you could make a banner or placard to bring with you. Turn up (see details above) and if you have any questions, find a Steward (pink hi vis vests) or head over to the Outreach Stall. Food For All will be providing sustenance during the week of actions – support them by bringing your bowl, fork and a cash donation if you can.
Want to help out at the action?
We are always looking for new people to get involved with Stewarding and Wellbeing. Register for one of our action support training sessions:
- Thursday 22nd February, 19:00-20:00 – register here
- Sign up to the Outreach group – sign up here
Can’t make any of those? Don’t worry, there will be Stewarding and Wellbeing training happening at the action. Grab a Steward and ask or head over to the Outreach Stall.
- 3. Oh no, I can’t make it to London!
This is an action you can get involved in from home and / or in your local area.
Towards the end of the week, there is a deliberate shift in focus from London to the rest of the country, with actions being organised across the UK targeting regional and local branches of the target insurance companies. More details will follow nearer the time, and you can look for insurance actions happening in your local area on the events map.
You can join the Telegram chat to keep up to date with action briefings and latest information!