24 September 2021
08:00 - 01:00
Extinction Rebellion Greenwich
JOIN OUR CAMPAIGN!
Meet at John Harrison Way (roundabout with Bugsby’s Way and Millennium Way), SE10 0NF
Meet at Canning Town station
The Mayor of London, supported by the government, is planning a new twin-bore road tunnel under the Thames, right next to the Blackwall Tunnel.
We are we asking Sadiq Khan, the Mayor of London to Stop the Silvertown Tunnel
● To avoid the worst catastrophic consequences of the climate breakdown, we need to immediately cut greenhouse gas emissions. That means fewer cars and lorries, not more. It means no more big road projects.
● With the COP26 climate talks coming up in Glasgow in November, politicians at national and London level say they want to deal with the climate crisis. We need action, not words. That means cancelling the tunnel project and making London cleaner and greener.
● The tunnel would bring more traffic, and more pollution, into Newham and Greenwich.
● Newham, with many low-income families and great ethnic diversity, already has one of the UK’s worst air pollution problems. Why should Newham and Greenwich communities suffer, for a tunnel that serves big business and the road haulage industry?
● The tunnel would cost more than £2 billion. Why not spend that on cheap, or free, public transport, and better facilities for cycling and walking?
● The Stop the Silvertown Tunnel Coalition brings together people in east London and south-east London who say the project should be cancelled. Join us!
Join the campaign