07 October 2019
20 October 2019
Russell Square, London, United Kingdom
NOTE: This event description will no longer be updated as of October 3, 2019. For the most up to date information, including schedules and info on what you need to do to prepare, please see http://animalrebellion.org/brief
> Sign up now at https://actionnetwork.org/forms/october-rebellion-sign-up
> Find upcoming trainings at http://animalrebellion.org/trainings
> Meeting Details: Russell Square, Bloomsbury, London, at 11AM on October 7. Please arrive promptly as we will be helping people create affinity groups (groups of people you organise actions with) from 11:15AM. If you miss this bit, there will be further affinity group creation sessions in the evening and later on in the Rebellion.
Life on Earth is in crisis. We are in the midst of a mass extinction of our own making. And time is running out.
We know animal farming and fishing are leading causes of climate breakdown and ecosystem collapse. We know millions of land animals and trillions of fish are killed every year in an unjust and unsustainable food system. We know we have the power, and responsibility, to stop this. But personal change is not enough. We need system change.
From October 7, thousands of animal rebels will engage in non-violent civil disobedience to peacefully occupy key sites across London to force the government to address the destruction caused by the animal farming and fishing industries, and take urgent action against the climate emergency.
It’s time to act now. For the animals. For the planet. For future generations. It’s time to rebel.
By turning out in vast numbers, by holding strong throughout the night, by risking arrest, by bringing attitudes of peace and care not just towards animals, but to even those in the industry who are victims under our society’s toxic system, we will spark conversations across the globe and win the hearts of the public. In doing so, we will force the government to recognise that it must take action and move to a plant-based food system.
Our first site is Smithfield Market, London’s largest and most historic meat market. Over the night of October 7, we will occupy Smithfield’s iconic archway in an artistic disruption where we transform it into a vibrant plant-based market, boldly sharing our vision of what Smithfield could be in a future plant-based food system. Throughout the night, we’ll engage in creative actions such as candlelit vigils, to disrupt the idea that Smithfield will always be a place of death, and introduce the idea that it could be something better.
Our second site, named the Garden City, will be located in Westminster, just across from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra), the government department that is best placed to enact the changes we want to see. We will boldly disrupt Defra throughout the Rebellion, and demand they lead a transition to a plant-based food system. From the Garden City, we will also launch several civil disobedience actions on high profile targets, including destructive corporations, slaughterhouses, markets and cultural icons.
WHAT WILL BE HAPPENING
We will meet at Russell Square, Bloomsbury, London, at 11AM on Monday October 7, where we’ll hold a briefing and mass training in nonviolent direct action (NVDA) to make sure everyone is mentally prepared for the Rebellion. We will then march to Smithfield Market, where we’ll occupy the site to boldly share our vision of a future plant-based food system. We’ll be occupying the space overnight, and we strongly encourage as many people as possible to stay overnight throughout the Rebellion. Having a strong, consistent presence will be key to holding our sites and having our message heard.
The Rebellion will be a whirlwind of collective action, community-building and self-development. There will be an array of social and festival activities, trainings and entertainment hosted in different locations across the site. There will be singing, there will be space to grieve for the animals whose bodies lay within Smithfield, and there will be moments of joy as we unite under the vision of the world we’re striving to build.
Pulling off this Rebellion will require all hands on deck, so you’ll be invited to use your strengths and join a volunteer team that plays an essential role in making the Rebellion a success – that could mean different things for different people, from cooking up a storm for your fellow rebels, to broadcasting the event on social media, or perhaps even engaging in higher-risk civil disobedience, such as a lock-on or a strategic flash mob. There’s a role for everyone. After some time, rebels will move from Smithfield to the as-yet-announced Westminster site – the timing of this move will be determined collectively during the Rebellion itself by considering the strategy of the overall Rebellion.
FACILITIES AND SERVICES
We’ll provide water, food, hand-washing facilities and toilets on site, as well as limited phone-charging facilities. First-aiders will be present at all times.
For those who are unable to camp and require overnight housing during the Rebellion, there will be limited housing granted on a needs basis, and individuals with disabilities and special needs will be prioritised. To request housing please fill out this form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc5xwvNWcPQo4YusdlmdIuv_rwG69Vn_bd9r752RgbpkaDN2w/viewform
HOW TO PREPARE
1. Clear your calendar and rally your friends! Take time off work so you can be a part of this incredible moment in history, and reach out to those around you and ask them to join the Rebellion with you. The time is now to ensure we take the action we need to end the climate and animal emergencies, and we need everyone who can to take action with us.
2. Get together the supplies you need! Read our packing list which serves as a guide for what you might like to bring: http://animalrebellion.org/packinglist
3. We ask all rebels coming to the October Rebellion to do trainings in Know Your Rights (KYR), Arrestee Support and Non-violent Direct Action (NVDA). Extinction Rebellion is running various trainings in all of the above, while Animal Rebellion is running various NVDA trainings. To find the details for pre-Rebellion trainings, take a look at our list of upcoming trainings: http://animalrebellion.org/trainings
4. Get connected with Animal Rebels near you! Find your nearest local group and join in their actions. You’ll find a full list of UK Animal Rebellion groups here: http://www.animalrebellion.org/communities/ You can also connect with Rebels via the Animal Rebellion Lounge Facebook group.
5. Join the Animal Rebellion Broadcast group on Telegram, where we’ll be transmitting key updates to rebels: https://t.me/AnimalRebellionBroadcast
6. Stay up to date with everything you need to know by checking our briefing document at http://animalrebellion.org/brief
This is going to be a time like no other. So grab your tents, grab your friends, take time off work, and let’s rebel together.
Find out more at www.animalrebellion.org
Keep up to date via http://animalrebellion.org/brief