15 February 2020
09:00 - 13:00
180 the Strand, London, United Kingdom
XR Boycott Fashion
JOIN US ON THE STREETS AT LONDON FASHION WEEK TO DEMAND THAT THIS SEASON’S MUST HAVE – IS THE CONTINUATION OF LIFE ON EARTH
? 15th FEB
?180 THE STRAND, LONDON
WEAR BLACK + BRING PLACARDS
WEATHER FORECAST: RAIN. PLEASE BRING WATERPROOFS.
The day will start with a swarm, followed by creative actions, music, block printing, speeches and family activities. Let’s use the power of creativity to vision a better world.
– The clothing industry alone accounts for 7% of global greenhouse gas emissions, almost the same as the total emissions of the EU.
– The climate impact of the industry is predicted to increase by 49% by 2030.
– It takes up to 2700 litres of water to produce a conventional cotton t-shirt.
– Approximately 20% of industrial water pollution comes from textile production.
– Fashion is a wasteful industry with less than 1% of clothing recycled into new clothing.
– 80% of garment workers are women, of whom many work long exhausting hours for less than half of a living wage.
According to the UN, 2020 is the ‘make or break year.’ To limit warming to below 1.5C now requires a 15% cut in emissions annually. And yet, this February, the global Fashion Weeks convene again – to display the clothes the industry wants us to wear for Autumn/Winter 2020-21, past the UN 2020 deadline.
The British Fashion Council receives public funding from our government. As citizens, it is our duty to question the best use of public funds, especially when facing this crisis, to which the fashion industry has contributed considerably.
We challenge the industry to stop the cycle of overproduction and overconsumption that threatens those that least contributed to it, notably the Global South and all youth, whose future is at stake. We ask the industry to join us in using its power of persuasion to tackle the climate and ecological crisis in a meaningful and just way.
COME TO OUR FASHION FACTORY WORKSHOP ON FEBRUARY 9TH WHEN WE WILL BE MAKING PLACARDS AND CUSTOMISING OUR CLOTHES OR WATCH THIS SPACE FOR DIYS. Details: https://www.facebook.com/events/474933443396199/
This is a family friendly event. We will be joined by XR London, XR Youth, XR Families, Animal Rebellion, XR Universities, XR Global Justice and more.
To get involved or for further information, email firstname.lastname@example.org